Saturday, July 4, 2015

Medicals and Noodles with Friends

Happy 4th of July! The best we could do this year was dress festively. For some reason China doesn't do a big firework display celebrating America's independence. I brought some glow stick balloons, so maybe we'll bust those out as a consolation prize.




We had three big firsts today. It was the first time Ewan posed for a picture for me, it was the first time I got a kiss from Ewan (a sweet, unprompted one on the cheek), and the first time Ewan took a nap!

Our day started with a big, yummy buffet breakfast. We then met our guide with one other family from our agency and we headed to our medical appointment. This is required by the U.S. in order for them to issue a visa. It's so fun having another family to go places with! They're adopting two little girls and we're loving the company!

The medical went just fine. Ewan was in a good mood and was charming all the doctors checking him out with high five's and Ni Hao's. I was nervous when they took him back for the TB test. They wouldn't let us go in, and I was afraid he'd freak out. Luckily he came out with a big smile and was proud to show us his bandaid and owie!

After the medical we went to a grocery store and picked up some essentials. We then came back to the hotel and had the rest of the day free! Yay! We had lunch, and then I thought I'd try putting Ewan down for a nap. He has so far refused, and it's really catching up to him. He's exhausted. We pretended everyone was taking a nap, and I laid down by him like we do for bed. The real plan was that Quin and the big kids would go swimming while we napped, and Quin made the mistake of coming in for a room key when he already had his swimming suit on. Classic dad kind of error ;) Ewan knew exactly what it was, since they'd gone swimming together the night before. He FREAKED out royally, and I felt really bad about it. They'd already gone, though, so I just tried rocking him for a minute to calm him down, then I was going to take him swimming if he was still sad. Luckily he fell asleep while I rocked him, though! Yay!! I laid down by him and we had a nice little nap!

A group of Facebook friends were meeting at 4:30 in the hotel playroom to visit. It was so fun to meet them in person!!

After we played, one friend and I and our families went to the restaurant that is nicknamed the 99 Cent Noodle Shop. It was delicious and so fun to be together! Plus both of our families ate for under $20! So awesome! Ewan was showing us all up with his noodle slurping skills, though!

Tomorrow we go the Shamian Island with our agency group for some shopping. I'm currently trying not to feel sad about missing our neighborhood 4th of July parade that will be starting in a few hours. Mostly I miss my cute kids that will be in in the parade without us. We're having a good time, though, and will be home kissing the babies we left behind soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment