Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Hooray for the USA!

We got our airport pictures back from the photographer, and they bring back a flood of emotions! These candid pictures are definitely not always the most flattering, but they tell a story like no posed picture ever could.






















































































































For a 7 year old who's never really had a family, all of this can be a bit overwhelming. We had to pull out the ol' iPad for a few minutes, but he got used to the attention quickly. Being greeted by so many friends and family was just the best. Plus, balloons! Truly, there's no place like home! Thank you to all who made it to the airport! You made us all feel so loved!!

We came home to a wonderful dinner with the family. Ewan had an absolute blast playing on the play set with all the cousins. He was laughing and having a great time! I was embarrassed at the weeds growing taller than the fence and the dead grass, but I guess that's what happens when you're out of town for over three weeks! Don't worry, I spent five hours weeding just a few days after we got home, and the yard's looking much more presentable now!














 



Coming home is always a whirlwind, as I expressed in my last post. Luckily my body finally adjusted to the time change, and I'm able to sleep through the night. This makes the biggest difference for me! I feel mostly normal again! I am still on the floor in Ewan's room. He was waking at ridiculous hours, so we got a blackout shade and put cardboard over the window well (our neighbors love us), and he's now sleeping in a little!
Here's a picture of a very happy boy at 5:30 am. His mama wasn't so happy.
 
Cute Ewan and Mei Mei in their matching Hong Kong Disney shirts. They are so fun together and have a great time playing...until they don't. Ewan is still learning to share, and Mei Mei is still adjusting to having a big/little brother with strong opinions, much like herself. 
 Here we are in one of our rare outings. We went to get a blackout shade. It was the first time we'd really gone to a store, and I honestly felt like I was hauling around a preschool. Look at all those kids! Can they seriously all be mine??
 We got to go to Grandma and Grandpa's house the other day to meet Great Grandpa Jack. Here Grandpa Craig is reading to Ewan.
 I knew Ewan would take to Grandpa Jack immediately, because he has grey hair! Anyone who has grey hair is Yeah Yeah (Grandpa). He spend the whole afternoon playing with Yeah Yeah. Too cute!

While I was weeding the other day, Ewan played outside for five hours straight. He is way too fun. He jumped and whooped and thoroughly enjoyed every single activity he did. He poured water in the water table from one container to another for a good hour before he decided it would make a fantastic swimming pool.

 Baba and Ewan playing...dressups?
I know I was extremely worried about how Ewan would adjust and how I would adjust to him, but I have to say it's been way easier than I anticipated! He has thrown himself into life without any reservations. He is so brave and trusting! He honestly and truly has fun no matter what he's doing. His fits have decreased, and he's learning how to be a family member. He has hit Mei Mei and Di Di a few times, but he's quick to say sorry and correct himself. He loves to play and be silly. He loves an adventure. We've kept our world fairly small. We tried to go to church the first Sunday back, and that was a mistake. He did fine until everyone started saying hello to him, and it was just too much. So we went home and had a nap instead, and stayed home this week as well. He already knows his grandparents and is so in love with all of his family! He loves to play ball and he loves fish. He's terrified of our family dog, but he's getting more and more used to her. He tries to be brave, and he even pet her today and fed her a treat! Big progress! The last few days he wakes up around 6:30 and climbs onto the air mattress with me and sleeps until about 8:30. I have never been a big co-sleeper, but I really enjoy those few hours of snuggles! He can't see in the dark, so he feels around my face and kisses my nose. 

I was worried I wouldn't bond well with Ewan, as is often the case with older kiddos. It's easy to see how it would be hard to feel like a 7 year old kid is your own who hasn't been with you for more than a few weeks. I knew this going in, and never worried or forced myself to feel anything. The thing is, though, I DO love him and feel like he's my own! I don't know how or when it happened, because there were definitely those days initially, but we've had him in our arms less than a month and I don't know what we ever did without him! He's my own through and through. I love him to absolute pieces. I love his smile. I love when he cries when he gets the slightest owie because he wants the love and attention. I love how he talks. I love how he sings to "Signing Time" (oh man, I have to record that! It's a hoot!!). I love how he rubs his nose on mine and kisses my face. I love how he says "Wo Ai Ni, Mama!" I love his enthusiasm for life. I love how he loves me to rock him. I love how much he loves his siblings. I love how brilliant he is. I love how we can communicate using very few words. I love how once he finally holds still, he falls asleep almost immediately. I love his smile. I love his spirit.

To think we might never have had each other makes me weepy. He was in a "good" orphanage, but he has scars that prove it wasn't always happy, and he didn't get to experience much of life. He was loved, but not loved like a child is loved by a parent. To watch him grow and change before our eyes is nothing short of a miracle. He is an absolute gem, and I'm so, so thankful we said yes!!! 

In a nutshell, we're still adjusting, but we're doing well. Quin went back to work Monday, and we're all still alive. There's still work to be done in finding our new normal, but we're on our way!!

No comments:

Post a Comment