Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sochi

I've been SO sad the past few weeks about the lack of focus the orphans in Russia are getting while Russia has the world's attention. I've been sickened by all the media attention paid to yogurt, accommodations, and stray dogs, while not a single word is said about the HUMAN BEINGS stuck in Russia living in awful conditions. A photographer, Katie Brooks, took pictures of Russian orphans a few years ago. While many orphanages are not like these pictured, I do know from first hand experiences of several friends of mine that conditions like this still do exist in Russia. I also have several friends that have been begging the press to do a story about the stuck Russian orphans. Nobody cares. Why did every news channel pick up the story about stray dogs and less than 5 star hotels, yet tiny, defenseless humans are ignored?? I may never truly understand this. Nevertheless, I can't ignore it; especially since one of these tiny humans is the daughter of my heart. Why does nobody care that this precious, darling, lovely child had a chance to have a forever family, but is now doomed to institutional life?
We have been trying to find her a Russian family, but have so far had no luck. Why should she have to spend her life behind the walls of an orphanage when she could be really living?? Why should she not get an education, her own bed, and family that adores her? Why can she not have love?? And WHY DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE!?!?
I love dogs. I have one of my own. But I also know dogs are not as important as humans. I know that having to climb stairs to get to your hotel room because the elevator's broken should not trump little humans being denied families. I know that athletes wanting yogurt they are accustomed to and the senators that own stock in the company should never be more of a story than suffering children. It seems I'm in the minority, though, because every single news outlet has covered those stories, but not one has covered the stuck orphans.
A friend of mine that got home with her two Russians just months before the ban has a beautiful blog. I adore reading about her kids and I love her parenting style. To read what she has to say about the Olympics, click here. Another blog I love has written about it as well.
Please continue to pray for Dasha girl and all the orphans in Russia. Please pray for all the orphans throughout the world. I know it's not comfortable or easy to feel burdened by these children, but the life they are forced to lead is unacceptable. This blog has some great ways we can help orphans. We need to feel. We need to act. If not us, then who? If not now, then when?

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Poor baby Dasha and all the rest of those sweet babies, it just breaks my heart how these children are treated so badly and used as political pawns. We are still praying for these darling children. Keep up the great work Whitney.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all know you are right. It is a hopeless feeling to know there is nothing we can personally do, except pray and wait. The only consolation is the knowledge that this life is not all there is and that one day all will be made right. You and Quin are examples of caring people with huge hearts. Love, Craig

    ReplyDelete