Wednesday, August 1, 2012

WHY are you doing this!?

So, we've been asked this question a lot.  Like a lot.  How did you get to this point?  How did you make the decision to adopt a special needs child from Eastern Europe?  How did you even find out about these children!?  Well, the story begins 15 months ago with the Cox family. I have been acquaintences with Kecia for much of my life (long story). We weren't exactly friends, but we have several connections and I saw links to her blog all over Facebook. Curious what this odd journey was all about, I started following their blog and was instantly hooked!!!(To view ABC's coverage of their adoption story, watch this!  Much more uplifting than the last video ;) As I watched their story unfold, I had this strange feeling that this would someday be our story.  That someday we could go rescue an orphan as well!  I didn't mention this feeling to Quin.  I, in fact, didn't say anything about it to anyone.  A few months ago, I was getting ready for bed and was feeling very blessed and happy this particular night.  I said out of the blue to Quin, "Do you think we will do foster care or something to help other kids when our own kids get a little older?" He looked at me and said, "No, I always assumed we would adopt a child with Down syndrome from Eastern Europe." I couldn't believe my ears!  "YOU DID!?!?" Was my response.  We didn't talk much more about it that night, but from that time on, it was on our minds frequently.  We casually mentioned to both of our families that this was in our plans for someday a few years down the road.  They were so great about it and more than supportive.  What a relief!  I started to think about it more and more as the weeks passed, and it started to feel very pressing.  It got to the point that I felt like I couldn't breathe anymore and it was constantly on my mind.  I had to make a decision.  Is this what we were supposed to do now, like RIGHT NOW!?  Prayer and pondering became my constant companion for a few days, and I knew my answer.  Yes.  NOW!  We felt such a sense of urgency and know beyond a doubt that this is what we are supposed to be doing right when we're supposed to be doing it. That is why we are going to go rescue beautiful little Meg (the name we have chosen for her and what she will be called when she comes home).  We can be her family. We can love her unconditionally and help her reach her full potential.  We can help her have a healthy, happy, wonderful life and keep her from a life hidden away in the white walls of an institution.
As I've debated this internally, I know it's true. The words to the song, "Because I Have Been Given Much I Too Must Give" have been constantly running through my head. Also the scripture found in Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God." Heavenly Father loves every one of His children. He too wants them to have a family and someone to love and teach them. We are so abundantly blessed, and we know that though this journey and adoption are difficult, having Meg as part of our family is yet another amazing blessing in our lives.
While scanning through all the beautiful little faces on the "waiting children" page of the Reece's Rainbow website, there were several that grabbed our attention. After much praying and pondering and studying faces and inquiring about many, it is clear to us that little "Victoria" (the nickname Reece's Rainbow gave her) is meant to be a part our family.  Her Reece's Rainbow "profile" got moved on Tuesday from the "waiting children" category to the "my family found me" category, and I haven't stopped crying since.  We found her!  We did!  There is nothing more satisfying than seeing her adorable little face with the words "my family found me" under it.  This little girl is WHY we are doing this..because we are her family!!  Here we go!!!

8 comments:

  1. well congratulations so happy, Meg is just a doll. Looking forward to your journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found she is and loved she will be. I know you are making the right decision and that she will be eternally yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been praying for Meg since she I first saw her on RR. So glad she moved to the "My Family found me" page. Blessings for a quick process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a sweet blog post. I'm so happy for you and your sweet family. What an incredible experience and journey for you. I have tears reading your post. Little Meg is so Lucky to have you! Xoxo. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im a friend of Kecia's as well! So excited for you guys, I added victoria as a favorite on my RR list two days ago - I am SO GLAD she is getting scooped up! We are just completing an amazing fundraising project for The Preece family here in Boise who is adopting Arnold. This is amazing work, to save these kids. You will be an instrument for good from now on everywhere you go!!!! So happy for you and for Meg :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if the other post made it to you... I'm new at this blog thing :o) We would love to donate items for any events you might be doing such as the carnival or a bake sale, etc. We own the Great Harvest Bread Co. in Taylorsville Utah and we could donate prizes, or product... Let us know how we can help. Call us at 801-966-9699 And good luck on this incredible adventure!
    JoEllen Kunz

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so awesome that you are able to do this! Meg will be so loved and cared for. I had no idea that things like this were going on over there. Makes me think about what I can do to help. I can't wait to see the updates along your journey :)

    ReplyDelete